Leaking Toilets – Have it Fixed Quick Before it Gets Worst
Bathroom is one of the most important rooms of the house. It’s where you start and finish each day. You wake up and use the toilet, wash face, and get ready for the day and before going to bed, you relieve yourself and then do your night cleaning. There are also people who do their special tasks like reading inside their bathroom and mostly while sitting on the bowl. There are other people who put importance on their bathroom things and accessories. They adorn their bathrooms with candles and even art works, matching towels and decors. And when their bathroom toilet isn’t working and leaking, it’s the most horrendous thing that could ever happen.
How do you know your toilet leaks?
When the water from the tank goes down the bowl unnecessary, your toilet is leaking. The most common cause is when the flapper is out of position. A simple check will help you detect for leaks on your toilet. Here’s how to do it:
- Remove the lid of the tank and expose the water inside
- Drop some food coloring or dye tablet
- Put back the lid and don’t flush
- Wait for 10 or 15 minutes and look for water gushing down from the tank, if you see the dye color, your toilet is leaking.
Other possible signs your toilet is leaking
- water on the floor
- water stains on the ceiling
- occasional smell of sewer gas
Leaking toilet is a plumbing emergency and needs prompt attention. You can apply simple plumbing troubleshooting for leaking toilet or calling plumbers to resolve the issue. And because not all plumbers are the same, there’s a big difference calling the professionals from having the unlicensed or the run-of-the-mill plumbers.
Here’s how the professionals fix leaking toilets
Before pulling the toilet
– Get ready with new wax ring, two sets of 5/16-inch diameter water closet bolts, tube of silicone-based caulk, usually with color matching the toilet and a package of plastic shims for rocking toilets.
Pulling the toilet
– Pulling the toilet is a simple plumbing task but when done wrong can lead to two problems such as water supply valve not shutting off entirely and closet nuts becoming loose and therefore can be a struggle. Professional plumbers make sure to shut the water supply valve and remove the water line, and with the valve off, flash the toilet and listen to trickling water. Sponging the water excess follows, and if the closet nuts are corroded, cutting them off is done. Cleaning around the drain hole follows.
Leaking toilets can lead to another plumbing issue, if not fixed immediately such as:
– Broken flange
-Flange that gets too low
– Rot around the flange
– Wax ring failure
Leaking toilets are among plumbing issues that need prompt attention. If you love your bathroom and don’t want to get embarrassed when visitors use it or simply want to enjoy it just like from the beginning, have it fixed and be proud and enjoy your bathroom just like before.